Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Don't Let Fear Get In The Way

On May 21, I embarked on the scariest journey I have taken so far...living 720 miles from home for 12 weeks. For some that might not seem all that scary, but as I was saying goodbye to family and friends, trying but miserably failing to hold back my tears, I kept thinking "you're crazy."

You see, until May 21 I'd never been away from home longer than two or three weeks at a time. So the thought of living in a place where I didn't know a single person for the entire summer was a little frightening.

The first week was probably the hardest, rush hour traffic and agency 'life' were just two big adjustments. Thankfully I met some great people at work and at a church I found. Random visits from my parents, the boy and Justin and Amanda also helped those 84 days fly by...not that I was counting or anything!

Looking back now, I am so thankful that I stepped out of my comfort zone and spent the summer in Milwaukee. The lessons I learned at Bader Rutter will continue to help as I gain experience in the 'real' world. And the friendships I made while I was there are also something I deeply treasure.

I guess you could say I'm glad I didn't let my fears get in the way. I can't imagine my summer being any different, and I know I grew a lot as an individual. I feel like I accomplished something really meaningful and I will never have to ask myself the dreaded 'what if' question. I am confident that when other 'scary' things come my way, I am fully prepared to face them head on. I faced my fear, now it's your turn!

Until next week,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment