Friday, January 24, 2014

2013- A Year Filled with Change


Let me begin by apologizing for neglecting my blog. I hope when you read this post you understand why I haven't written a post for a long time. My goal for 2014 is to blog at least once a month (I'm hoping it's more than that though!)

Change is the word that I would use to describe 2013. Let me tell you why:
  • K-State Graduate Student- Last spring I began to consider furthering my education with an online master's program. However, as I began to look more deeply in to graduate programs and visit with various faculty members, I realized that completing my degree on-campus would provide me with a greater learning opportunity. I received my letter of acceptance in the mail, but took a couple of weeks to think and pray about my decision. Going back to school would mean leaving the farm, my family and friends, and I would have to leave a job that I really enjoyed. I decided to take a giant leap of faith and moved to Manhattan, Kansas on August 18th. I just started my second semester towards a master's degree in agricultural communications at Kansas State University!

    For someone who rushed to complete my bachelor's degree in three years, most people are shocked that I went back to school. But in all honesty, I'm enjoying my time back in the classroom. I am being pushed and challenged more than ever before, and I'm loving it! The faculty and other graduate students in the program make it a great place to be. Living 12 hours from the farm has been extremely difficult, but I am thankful for supportive friends and family who continually encourage and support me.
    Special thanks to Scott Stebner for taking this photo!
  • Said Goodbye to RRFN- One of the major drawbacks to deciding to go to school in Kansas was having to leave a job that I enjoyed and say goodbye to the incredible Red River Farm Network team. I started interning for RRFN during the summer of 2010, and I will forever be grateful to Don and Mike for agreeing to take a chance and hire me. During my time as an intern and full-time employee I had the incredible opportunity to "Report Agriculture's Business" on a daily business. I am thankful for the support of Mike, Don, Randy, Jay and Karen as I made this difficult decision. The lessons I learned during my time at RRFN are ones I will never forget.

    First year at Big Iron with RRFN.
  • Promoted to Aunt- Perhaps the most exciting change this past year happened on November 26, when I became an aunt for the first time! The Topp team grew to 7 when Jackson arrived, and we couldn't be happier. I am so excited to teach Jackson as he grows, and I can already envision him out in the field and in the calving barn with his dad, grandpa and uncle. Being 12 hours away is even more difficult now that he is here, but I am so thankful for frequent picture updates and FaceTime. I spent every spare second with Jackson when I was home for Christmas break, and I can hardly wait to spend the entire summer with him. 
    So blessed to be Jackson's aunt
As you can see, the last few months have been busy and I've been trying to adjust to life as a college student again. January is often a time to reflect on the previous year and look forward to a new year filled with opportunities. Change can be a scary thing, but I speak from firsthand experience when I say it's worth it! In 2014 I encourage you to take chances, try something new, travel somewhere you have never been- I promise you won't regret it!

Making a big life CHANGE is pretty scary. But, know what's even scarier? Regret.


Until next time,

Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment